DIY Christmas Cracker Tutorial
This year as part of our Etsy Made Local Market in Tooting Broadway we are giving away 50 goody bags to the first 50 shoppers through the doors. As part of the goody bag we are including a Christmas cracker containing a delicious chocolate made by The Happy Mail, and 4 extra lucky shoppers will find vouchers to spend at the market! We've had so much fun designing and making the crackers we thought we would share with you how to make your own...
Template - click here to download
A4 paper and printer (to print the template)
Pattern paper eg. wrapping paper
Double sided tape
Postal tube (or any type of cylinder)
Ribbon or twine
Goodies to fill the crackers - paper crowns, joke, small toys, chocolate, be creative!
1. Make your template
Download and print the template provided. Stick the printed template to a piece of card (this will make it easier if you are making a lot of crackers) and cut around the solid lines, leaving the dotted lines (these show where to fold cracker later). Use your cardboard template to trace the outline on to your chosen cracker shell paper, this could be festive wrapping paper, recycled magazines or paper that you have decorated. Using your ruler add the dotted lines above and below the diamond shapes.
2. Cut out the traced design - you can use scissors to do this, or a craft knife and metal ruler if you prefer.
3. Fold down the centre the diamonds
4. Cut out the diamonds and then repeat step 3 and 4 on the other end
5. Fold along the points of the diamonds
6. Wrap your cracker shell around the postal tube. This makes it easier to assemble and will stop the paper/card bending
7. Insert snap and tape down
8. Stick double sided tape on to the tabs, making sure you do this on the patterned side
9. Stick your cracker shell together
10. Tie up one side of your cracker
11. Fill your cracker with your selected goodies
12. Tie up the other side of the cracker and voila, you have made your cracker!
So now you know how to make crackers, the possibilities are endless! You could make mini ones filled with a homemade truffle and add name tags for Christmas place cards; use them to make an alternative advent calendar or make a giant one as a gift box.